Being widely used in various industries, AutoCAD is sold like hotcakes for professionals like architects, engineers, designers, etc. However, this tip-top CAD software doesn’t always get in the groove. Whether you’re an active subscriber or someone who is using a cracked version, you may run into such an error saying that no valid software detected and your AutoCAD license is not valid. Either way, you can learn how to fix this issue in this guide. There are 6 workarounds to try out. Let’s dive in.
- Why Is This Message Popping Up?
- Solution 1: Update Autodesk Licensing Service
- Solution 2: Reset the Login Cache
- Solution 3: Reset the Licensing
- Solution 4: Uninstall and Reinstall AutoCAD
- Solution 5: Contact the Autodesk Support Team
- Solution 6: Buy an AutoCAD License
- Bonus Tip: Free Download and Try the Best AutoCAD Alternative
- FAQs About ‘Your AutoCAD License Is Not Valid’
Why Is This Message Popping Up?
First off, you may wonder why it happened. This issue seems to occur in any version of AutoCAD including 2016, 2917, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024. The are possible causes introduced as follows.
- Expired or Inactive License – If your license has expired or is not active, you may encounter this error.
- Network or Connectivity Issues – AutoCAD may require an internet connection or access to a license server to validate the license.
- Hardware Change – If you have made changes to your computer hardware (such as replacing the motherboard or network card) while using AutoCAD, it may result in an invalid license.
- Licensing Restrictions – If you attempt to activate the license on an unauthorized device or violate any licensing terms, the software will display this error message.
Solution 1: Update Autodesk Licensing Service
When you encounter the error message, it could be due to compatibility issues or bugs in the current version of the licensing service. The licensing service is responsible for managing and validating your AutoCAD license. By updating to the latest version, you can ensure that have the latest version to address any known issues or bugs. Here’s how to fix your AutoCAD is not valid in this way.
- On Windows, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\AdskLicensing\exe.
- Uninstall this EXE file and reinstall the AutoCAD licensing service.
- Now, reactive the license in AutoCAD.
Solution 2: Reset the Login Cache
The login cache stores data related to your Autodesk account login credentials and license information. Sometimes, the cached login data can become corrupted or outdated. This may lead to authentication problems and license validation errors. In this case, your AutoCAD license is not valid. Therefore, you effectively clear it out to retrieve and authenticate your license data from the Autodesk servers again. Based on your version, find out the cache and delete it.
For AutoCAD 2019/2018/2017/2016 and older:
- %localappdata%\Autodesk\Web Services\xml
For AutoCAD 2020 and newer, follow the tutorial below:
- Run Task Manager and switch to the Details tab.
- Close the following processes:
- Open File Explorer and go to %localappdata%\Autodesk\Web Services.
- Locate xml and delete it.
- Go to %localappdata%\Autodesk\Identity Services.
- Delete the db file and log in to your AutoCAD account again.
Solution 3: Reset the Licensing
Resetting the licensing can fix the “your AutoCAD license is not valid” error by resolving any issues related to the licensing configuration and settings. This process helps to restore the licensing components to their default state. That ensures the license is correctly recognized and validated by AutoCAD. Please follow the tutorials below according to your AutoCAD version.
For AutoCAD 2020/2021/2022/2023/2024:
Download and run this Autodesk_License_Reset file to reset the licensing.
For AutoCAD 2019/2018/2017/2017 and older:
- Go to %appdata%\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\ADUT and delete the ADUT file.
- Navigate to C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet and delete all files starting with
- Download and run this Autodesk_License_Reset file to reset the licensing.
Solution 4: Uninstall and Reinstall AutoCAD
How to fix your AutoCAD license is not valid? Most people would try to uninstall and reinstall AutoCAD to see if this helps. Indeed, that can address any issues related to the installation itself, including corrupted or missing files, conflicting installations, or improper configurations. It provides a clean installation environment, which can help resolve licensing problems. Please note that you should install the corresponding version that your license supports. Also, make sure that license details and activation information are correct.
Solution 5: Contact the Autodesk Support Team
If you have followed the above solutions and the issue persists, it is recommended to contact Autodesk support for further assistance. They have the expertise and resources to diagnose and resolve complex licensing issues that may not be easily resolved through other troubleshooting solutions. After that, they can provide specific guidance based on your license and software version.
Solution 6: Buy an AutoCAD License
When you’re using a cracked version or an inactive license from other sources, you should consider buying and using a valid license from Autodesk. However, AutoCAD still has some troubles unsolved. If you’re looking for a better AutoCAD alternative with stable and smooth performance. Let’s get to the bonus tip below.
Bonus Tip: Free Download and Try the Best AutoCAD Alternative
ZWCAD is a rising star with a great reputation. Compared to AutoCAD, it’s more lightweight while requiring lower computer resources of 2GB RAM and 1GB graphics card. Meanwhile, it’s estimated to run 1.7X faster than AutoCAD thanks to its amazing self-developed kernel and hardware acceleration technology. It ensures a fluent workflow and stable performance when opening large CAD files and designing projects.
Moreover, ZWCAD supports a familiar environment like AutoCAD. It also enables one-step migration that can quickly migrate your templates, fonts, command aliases, and hatch patterns from AutoCAD. With great compatibility with DWG, DXF, DWT, and other CAD formats, it ensures seamless collaboration with any CAD software. Whether you’re an AutoCAD user or new to CAD software, you can get down to it with ease.
Being light, ZWCAD is also powerful and useful in any industry. It boasts advanced features to improve your efficiency and streamline your workflow including but not limited to Flexiblock, Sheet Set Manager, Point Cloud, File Compare, Smart Plot, Smart Mouse, and Smart Select. Better yet, it allows for customization, so you can add third-party applications, plug-ins, and APIs to align your requirements. With various plans and pricing options, you can subscribe to ZWCAD or purchase its lifetime license starting at just $899.
FAQs About ‘Your AutoCAD License Is Not Valid’
How Do I Remove a Non Valid License in AutoCAD?
If you have an invalid license stored in AutoCAD, you can learn here how to remove it.
- Open “Programs and Features” in Control Panel.
- Remove all the Autodesk software below.
- C:\Program Files\Autodesk\
- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared
- Delete the 3 files that begin with the adskflex in C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet
Why Non-Legal Software Poses Risks and Consequences?
Non-legal software, also known as pirated, cracked, or unauthorized software, poses several risks and consequences. Here are some reasons why using non-legal software can be problematic:
- Violate copyright laws and lead to legal consequences, including fines, penalties, or even criminal charges.
- Making it more susceptible to malware, viruses, and other malicious code.
- Does not receive official updates or support from the software developer.
- Lead to unstable performance, crashes, or compatibility problems with other software and hardware.
- Lack necessary features or have disabled functionalities to fully utilize the software as intended.
After grasping these 6 solutions, you must know how to fix your AutoCAD license is not valid now. You can try to reinstall the software first followed by updating the Autodesk licensing service. Then, reset the login cache or the licensing. If all fails, you might turn to the support team for help. Also, using a more stable alternative like ZWCAD is a good idea.